Of all the various pieces of accessories, a hat is perhaps something that never really gets its due. I sometimes think of it as an underdog. But don’t we all love underdog stories. When we seem to be swallowed in a prosaic fashion quicksand, a hat always comes through. We are rescued for the day. Today’s post is dedicated to HATS. Instead of my usual rant, I share with you a an assortment of quotes devoted to (what else, but) hats.
1. “We just know inside that we’re queens. And these are the crowns we wear.” (Felecia McMillan)
2. “Wearing a hat is like having a baby or a puppy; everyone stops to coo and talk about it”. (Louise Green)
3. “A hat is a flag, a shield, a bit of armor, and the badge of femininity. A hat is the difference between wearing clothes and wearing a costume; it’s the difference between being dressed and being dressed up; it’s the difference between looking adequate and looking your best. A hat is to be stylish in, to glow under, to flirt beneath, to make all others seem jealous over, and to make all men feel masculine about. A piece of magic is a hat”. (Martha Sliter)
4. “You can flirt with a fan in your hand. You can flirt holding a cigarette, too. But a woman can really flirt with a hat”. (Dolores Foster)
5. “If a woman rebels against high heeled shoes, she should take care to do it in a very smart hat”. (George Bernard Shaw)
6. ” Women wearing hats are at once sophisticated and whimsical….Their faces are younger and softer. They carry themselves differently, daintily, like deer. Their voices flutter a bit…even when they are talking about things like money and power and work, even when it’s clear they’re very much in charge of their lives”. (from “O” Magazine).
7. “Throughout the years, I have mentally put together a profile of women who can wear hats. Generally, they are women of great confidence. When they visit someone in the hospital, they park their car in the tow away zone. It is always there when they return for it. Their hair is always long enough on the sides to pull back and secure without little pieces standing out over the ears like Howdy Doody. They love blueberries, and they never stain their teeth.
They have two children: a boy and a girl, who are not allowed to watch television. Their husbands recite them poetry that doesn’t rhyme. They’re the first to wear white shoes in the spring. The family dog wears braces for an overbite.
I know I am generalizing, but I’m bitter. In my heart, I know there is much to admire about a woman wearing a hat who knows that she attracts the attention of every eye around her and can still walk like a person. I used to give speeches, and I’d be so self-conscious that I’d walk to the podium as though I were marching into Poland”.
8. “Leave everyone wondering which is the more interesting piece of work…you or your hat”.
9. “Life is like a new hat. You don’t know if it suits you if you keep trying it on in front of your own mirror”. Shirley McLaine
10. ” When you wear a hat, it is like medicine for the soul. The hat is the expression of who you are as a women in every moment! The hat is your dreams of who you can be. It facilitates the different parts of who you are: With the wave of the hat, voila! You are mysterious…no, you are sexy…now proper…now playful.
You cannot hide in a hat; you will be noticed, especially by men. To men, you become a lady when you don a hat—one who they rush to open doors for. To women, you become an inspiration, reminding them that they have a closet full of hats they have not had the courage to wear.
When you wear a hat, you become the dream that started when the hat was conceived. The original energy that was put into the hat doesn’t die; it only changes forms and owners. The dream doesn’t die; it is passed on, sometimes from generation to generation.
And when you see a women in a hat in the next car on the freeway, the dream grows. We as women acknowledge each other’s growth. It is the symbol of the feminine which is so needed for us and our earth to heal. So let’s share this gift with as many as we wish to share such a vision. For…this is how you will ‘Go Ahead and Bloom’ “.